A key policy recommendation of a report published by the Union of the Electricity Industry in Europe –Eurelectric in 2013 highlighting DSOs needs states: ‘Establishment of system services at distribution level calls for adequate supporting monitoring tools that allow DSOs to operate their networks in a ‘more active’ way.’ The report goes on to state that “in order to facilitate secure network operation and smooth functioning of the future market with high renewable energy generation penetration, DSOs need to become active operators of their networks. This means that they need adequate tools to operate their networks”. In addition, it recommends network users actively participate in network usage optimisation, and in this way, possible power flow violations can be eliminated. The European Commission’s Joint Research Centre Guidelines on the cost benefit of SmartGrids indicates that a key parameter is the enhancement of efficiency in day-to-day grid operation is through advanced automation.
The above DSOs are the targeted users of this ADMS solution, and the ‘Unique Selling Points‘ points that make ADMS an ambitious and ground-breaking solution beyond the state-of-the-art is as follows:
Modelling Algorithm: GH’s unique ANN based data analytic/modelling software capable of
“Active Distribution System Management - A key tool for the smooth integration of distributed generation”, Eurelectric paper, February 2013, available at www.eurelectric.org/media/74356/asm_full_report_discussion_paper_final-2013-030-0117-01-e.pdf
- discovering complex, non-linear relationships between sets of features in data sets for dynamic network analysis of different network parameters, identifying opportunities/threats to the entire networks with only a few DSO nodes deployed.
- Cost: Much lower component and system cost solutions that enables scalable deployment. Achieved by
- innovative ADA analytic/modelling predictive algorithm,
- lower cost mPMU
- novel LV/MV Network Monitor architecture that supports scalable deployment
- innovative lower cost MAC sensors.
- New mPMU Product: A phasor measurement solution that meets MV/LV technically requirements, enabled by MAC’s hardware platform and current sensing technology and RWTH’s TFT-WLS compliance algorithm.
- IP Technology Solutions: Key enabling technology solutions:
- a) GH’s ADA data analytic/modelling technology that models/predicts network behaviour and stability.
- b) RWTH’s Taylor–Fourier Transform Weighted Least Squares IEEE C37.118-1 compliant algorithm
- c) MAC’s and ALTEA’s patented current and voltage sensing technology.
- Integrated Solution: A complete integrated package of service (indicating network KPIs, thresholds and regulatory breaches) to grid-edge sensing technology (deployed DSO family).
- Scalable Component/System Architecture: MAC’s scalable LV/MV Network Monitor for 1-8 Lines (4–32 sensors) and GH’s ADA scalable network modelling software, the more data points monitored the more resilient model predictions become.
- Performance: High accuracy achieved at low cost, ease of deployment and minimises data throughput.