ADMS is a SmartGrid ‘next generation’ Active Distribution Management System that goes well beyond the state-of-art to assist DSOs to better manage their distribution networks, accommodate increased penetration of Renewable Energy Sources and achieve their 2020 Low Carbon Emissions Targets. ADMS will impact and disruptively change the way DSOs manage and control their networks. The system will support the DSO’s existing grid management systems and offer an affordable roll-out option, where accurate predictions and live monitoring of the grid status can be performed across the entire network with only a small number of measurements nodes deployed, and does not require intensive monitoring of the entire network.
The innovative ADMS will benefit European DSOs to:
- Improve network stability by 20% by providing real-time information on the dynamic synchrophasor performance of their networks to enable early control action to maintain grid stability.
- Enable 25% more grid capacity by delivering power more efficiently on existing networks.
- Enable up to 25% more renewables contribution by making more use of available network capacity through improved network stability and efficiency, helping DSOs achieve their 2020 carbon targets.
- Reduce grid integration costs by 20% by optimising network setup through dynamic monitoring of network behaviour.
- Reduce networks outages duration and customer losses by 15%,
- Provide active customer load management, matching flexible customer loads to variable generation.
The system architecture and component solutions of the ADMS is shown in Figure 1. The project work will integrate a family of Distribution Sensor Network (DSO) components from MAC and an Advanced Distribution Automation (ADA) system from GH and RWTH on to an ADMS platform, that together will monitor the dynamic state of the networks and potential grid instability down to the LV grid-edge.
The DSO family consists of low-cost micro Phasor Measurement Units (mPMUs) and LV/MV Network Monitor products deployed at strategic locations across the MV and LV networks. mPMU undertake highly accurate time-synchronized measurements (using GPS) of network variables such voltage and current phase angle, etc. LV/MV Network Monitor products undertake mass measurement of network parameters such as current, active and reactive power, harmonics etc. These families of products will have high technical, commercial and operational advantages over existing product solutions and communicate over the GPRS network using the IEC61850 protocol, to an ADMS cloud server.
Using Arti?cial Neural Networks (ANN) models GH’s ADA system predicts LV/MV network behaviour for all points of the network with only a few measurement nodes deployed. This makes it attractive for DSOs to deploy the ADMS in a step?by?step affordable manner, starting with more critical sections on the network and covering other sections when revenue and resources are available. This enables DSOs to detect violations of system operating limits at any point on the network while high levels of renewables are connected.
To achieve its ambitious business objectives, the ADMS FTI approach is to integrate and productise the following disruptive innovative components into a complete TRL9 ADMS solution:
- MAC’s GridWatch family of Distributed Sensor Networking (DSO) products (mPMU, MV/LV Network Monitor), validated in an SME project and
- includes ALTEA’s and MAC’s patented sensing technologies.
- GH’s ADA/ANN Analytic-Modelling Platform “Grid Monitoring as a Service”
The ADMS product will offer DSOs the necessary tools to maximise the capacity of the existing network infrastructure without the need to mass deploy monitoring units on their networks, creating a more intelligent grid within a shorter timeframe and at an affordable cost, as will be explained in the following sections.
The ADMS platform integrates ADA/ANN analytic/modelling software with an attractive and easy-to-use user interface (as shown opposite) that supports:
- the ADA data-driven/ANN monitoring system and outputs analysis
- the operation and management of the DSO units deployed on the network
- a database for data storage and analysis
The ADMS user interface for the DSO network operator will be either through a web?based visualisation system (as shown) or via an interface to the DSO’s existing SCADA display. The operator can view measured and predicated values for any location on the network, as well as critical network Key Performance Indicator outputs by the ADA analysis that includes;
- Network Stability (voltage levels, phase)
- Network Capacity Loads, Active/ReActive Power etc.
- Breach of safe operating limits for various parameters (such as load, voltage, harmonics etc.)
These outputs will facilitate the manual (operator) adjustment of operating resources (such as: Automatic Voltage Control (AVC) relays, real and reactive power of the generators, feed-in management) to maintain grid stability and regulatory limits. Future planned solutions will facilitate automated control of resources without the operator’s intervention. A complete basic ADMS solution for commercial sale will consist of:
- the ADMS platform (as described above),
- 6 x mPMUs and
- 10 x LV/MV Network Monitoring units (typically, numbers will vary depending on network size).
The target commercial price of this solution is €50k.
Based on the ADMS demonstrated the innovative potential and advances (both technical and commercial (cost)) beyond the state-of-the-art, that the individual component solutions by the industrial partners offer, that combined, will lead to an innovative and ambitious integrated ADMS product solution. The ability of the ADMS to improve the dynamic stability of the network to the extent that it will facilitate a 25% increase in RES penetration on existing network capacity, by delivering power more efficiently, is a key ground-breaking and ambitious objective that this consortium will demonstrate in the 4 innovation pilot trials. The ADMS solution is a next-generation Active System Management solution, that is built on the following, beyond the state-of-the-art (both technical and commercial), core technology components:
- ground-breaking analytical ADA technology, capable of modelling and predicting network behaviour for the entire network section with only a few measurements nodes deployed: – existing market solutions (SmarterGridSolutions and Venios) require modelling of the entire network, use a deterministic approach to analysis (cannot predict a pending event), do not include monitoring nodes and are more expensive.
- mPMU: – existing solution much too expensive, technically weaker.
- an LV/MV Network Monitor with a novel architecture approach, enabled by innovative sensor technology: – existing solutions are very expensive (€500 vs €1200+) and not as technically innovative.
The unique selling proposition is an affordable, all-inclusive full ‘service to grid-edge solution’, from on the grid sensors, to qualified network KPI measurements, that will directly facilitate European DSOs to take active control of their networks, maintaining grid stability and regulatory compliance. The outcome of this fast track to innovation plan will result in the accelerated market deployment of the 4 commercial product solutions:
- ADMS Platform (Includes ADA/ANN software) - Ownership ALTEA
- ADA/ANN software - Ownership GH
- mPMU Unit - Ownership MAC
- MV/LV Network Monitoring Unit - Ownership MAC
The commercial ambition is a Route to Market aligned to the industrial partners’ business strategies which the business plan indicates will lead to the creation of over 60 direct jobs and 110 indirect jobs
- ALTEA’s strategic vision is to ‘Support the operation of DSOs’ SmartGrids at peak efficiency and capacity’.
- drive future commercial sales of the ADMS Product, purchasing the core component solutions from MAC and GH on agreed commercial terms.
- grow sales of €36M for ADMS solutions with an average ROI of 3700% over 7 years. (See Bus. Plan).
- MAC’s strategic vision is to be a ‘product driven’ company providing innovative MV/LV grid monitoring products under the brand name GridWatch:
- sell these products on agreed commercial terms to ALTEA and other system integrators not in direct competition to the ADMS market.
- build it’s GridWatch product brand to achieve sales in excess of €13M (50% ADMS) in the first 7 years.
- GH’s strategic vision is to be the leader in ADA/ANN analytic/modelling technology for SmartGrids:
- sell its software solution to ALTEA on agreed commercial terms and under licence agreements.
- Build sales of it’s ADA product solutions to €8M in the first 7 years and grow its ADA brand of solutions.